History and Social Sciences Department
The vision of the Richmond Public Schools History and Social Science Department is to facilitate a process of learning which allows students to become responsible, engaged citizens who positively impact and find success in an ever-changing global society.
Through the study of history and the social sciences (e.g., economics, sociology, psychology, human geography) students can better understand how the past, present and future are connected. The mission of the Richmond Public Schools History and Social Science Department is to offer curriculum and instruction which will enable students to become lifelong learners.
- Students will be taught about their city, state and nation to establish a sense of community.
- Students will have the opportunity to pursue meaningful civic activities which will enhance their lives and knowledge.
- Students will gain understanding of how to be successful in a global job market and economy through instruction based in real-world application.
- Students will develop citizenship through participation and hands-on experiences.
- Students will be exposed to activities in which they will learn about other cultures and appreciate the country’s cultural diversity.
- Students will be provided with quality educational experiences which will enable them to handle life's challenges and to lead productive lives.